Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Anthony Bourdain of Cocktails


Sometimes I have to down a cocktail against my better judgement so that you don't have to. Well, not that you would necessarily drink an Aviation Cocktail in the Jet Blue Lounge of JFK Int'l airport, but just in the slight case that you would, I threw myself in front of that bullet for you.

Notice the paper cup. That's so you can take it on the plane with you - against airline policy, you see.

I learned to do this after a conversation with a airline steward. Steward? Is that the right word? Anyway, we brought Bloody Marys on board after a particularly grueling visit to Haiti. Can you blame us?

Steward: You can't bring those on board with you!

Me: The bartender told us we could.

Steward: Well, of course HE would say that.

The Avation Cocktail: Hendrick's Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, fresh lemon juice. Dreadful. If only I had listened to American Airlines.

Speaking of Anthony Bourdain, we made a special trip to Schwabl's this past week-end. It was featured on Bourdain's No Reservations, and I experienced great pains of guilt at never visiting it myself....considering it is three miles from the family home.

Here are my dining companions. The lovely Jack and the lovelier Caroline.



At Schwabl's, justly famous for its roast beef on a kummelweck roll, Columbus Day falls between its two signature cocktails. The Ebeneezer Punch is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and the Tom and Jerry - featured on the Bourdain segment - is served from Thanksgiving Eve to St. Patrick's Day.


Bad timing for a visit but the food was wonderful, and the glass of Peter Brum Riesling was a nice consolation.

Here is the Bourdain segment: Part 1 and Part 2



No comments: